This is About Ethiopia
Welcome to Yerada Lij Australia. We write books and a blog. They are all about the land of Ethiopia and her people. Yes, Ethiopia is a woman.
This page is about our blog, book & authors. Mesfin was born and grew up in Ethiopia. Ianet is Aussie.
What Does Yerada Lij Mean?
The African country is full of smart and self-sufficient supporters of the helpless. Does that describe you, wherever you are on the planet? In Ethiopia, you would be yerada lij. To read more, tap or click here.
Out Now: “Lucy’s People” by Mesfin Tadesse. 2nd edition, 2021
Best Online Deal
Book Depository – free shipping worldwide AUD 27.29
Look Inside Our Book
Tap or click here. Note that it is not suitable for children 16 and under.
About Our Blog, Book & Authors
Ethiopian Culture & Innovations: Gifts to the World
With over 80 different ethnic groups, Ethiopia’s culture is rich. She has given the world these:
- Formula for aspirin. It was written in an ancient Orit Yehuda monastery goat-skin book or birana. View a video about goatskin books here. The book’s title was Audenegiste. Read an article on Ethiopia’s traditional medicine here.
- Astronomy, thousands of years before the Christian era. Read about it here.
- Pentatonic music scale – Ethiopian St Yared created it in the 7th century AD. Read about the saint here.
- GPS – An Ethiopian-born scientist invented it. His name was Kitaw Ejigu. Read about him here.
- Today, in Addis Ababa, an IT expert has developed a device for people who are blind or have low vision. The device is used with special reading glasses, to read without braille. When walking in the streets, the mobile device alerts them to obstacles ahead. Once a person’s details are recorded, the device advises when that person approaches. This technology will enable people who are blind to be independent.
“This is a gripping story, well-told.”
—Sheger FM Radio 102.1, April 30, 2020
Lucy’s People, 2nd Edition Release
On 15 August 2021, we released our book globally. It is the 2nd edition of Lucy’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir by Mesfin Tadesse. In 298 pages, it tells about life under Emperor Haile Selassie I and the communist Derg.
In 2020 in Addis Ababa, we released the 1st edition. This is out of print. The 2nd edition is the same story with more material. Sections are re-written. View the old cover here.
Downloadable Review Cards
More About Our Book
- Old & New Covers & Book Reviews
- Book Details
- Book Extracts
- 2nd edition ISBNs: -Book: 9780648828716 & Paperback: 9780648828723
Mesfin Tadesse is the main author of Lucy’s People. It is his story. Born in Ethiopia, he studied and worked there.
Ianet Bastyan is Mesfin’s co-author. She is Australian. Mesfin’s memoir is her first extended writing. Ethiopia is her favourite country.
Pelicans Over Lake Tana, Source of the Blue Nile River © Mesfin Tadesse, 2020
At Bete Mariyam, Lalibela Rock-hewn Monasteries © Mesfin Tadesse, 2017
We do not share your information. If we publish comments, we may withhold your name. This would be to protect your identity.