About Yerada Lij Australia
Welcome to Yerada Lij Australia. We write books & a blog. Our 1st book was “Lucy’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir” by Mesfin Tadesse, 2020, released in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. It is about his life under Emperor Haile Selassie I, then under the brutal communist Derg. Read our book blurb.
Yerada Lij Australia Authors
MESFIN TADESSE was born in Ethiopia, has visited 221 countries, and worked in 22. He is a construction and civil engineer. In Australia, he is a registered master builder. Name it, he’ll fix it. By charm alone he directs water uphill.
The former Airborne will defend your rights. Aussie traffic cops picking on him grovel in apology. He’ll make you laugh in five languages.
IANET BASTYAN is Australian born and has visited seven countries. She is a registered secondary school teacher and librarian.
At five she squirted her teacher with a water pistol. She has never held a gun.The dog appreciates her school-French. She is learning Amharic. It makes people laugh.
To view an author interview, click here.
Lucy and Saba Books
Click here to read 3 book extracts.
Lucy’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir
During the 2020 pandemic, we released 500 print copies. They sold only in Ethiopia.
Addis Ababa Stockists
These Addis Ababa bookshops sell Lucy’s People.
- Ankeboot Book Store 0111 575 910
- Birana Book Store 0930 364 287 / 0944 342 223
- Engineer Alazar Exclusive International Book Center 0909 563 456
- Ineho Books 0912 735 000 / 0911 469 954
- Knowledge Gate Bookshop & Stationery 0911 026 529
- Universal Book Shop 0911 30 18 87 / 011 156 63 97
- Wisdom Littmaan Books 0911 899 468
- Zewdu Book Store 092 064 1201
Saba’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir
This is the working title for the re-release of Lucy’s People. It is the same story. The book will be the same length, with a bibliography and better writing. There are a few more anecdotes. During 2020 & 2021, Mesfin & Ianet were stranded by the Australian Government in Ethiopia. This was because of the pandemic. Ianet learned a little more about Ethiopia from Mesfin & locals.
Our literary agent in Australia is searching for a traditional publisher. Alternatively, we will release the book ourselves — world wide, as an eBook, print & audio in Amharic and English.
About our Blog
Ethiopian Culture & Innovations: Gifts to the World
With over 80 different ethnic groups, Ethiopia’s culture is rich. She has given the world these:
- Formula for aspirin. It was written in an ancient Orit Yehuda monastery goat-skin book, a birana. The book’s title was Audenegiste. Here is an article on Ethiopia’s traditional medicine.
- Astronomy, 1,000s of years before the Christian era
- Pentatonic music scale – St Yared created it in the 7th century AD.
- GPS – An Ethiopian-born scientist invented it. Read about Kitaw Ejigu.
Today, in Addis Ababa, an IT expert has developed a device for people who are blind or have low vision. The device is used with special reading glasses, to read without braille. When walking in the streets, the mobile device alerts them to obstacles ahead. Once a person’s details are recorded, the device advises when that person approaches. This technology will enable people who are blind to be independent.
Read our blog.
Featured image: Pelicans Over Lake Tana, Source of the Blue Nile River © Mesfin Tadesse, 2020
You are welcome to share this page.