1. Yerada Lij Australia
Welcome to Yerada Lij Australia. We write books & a blog. They tell Ethiopia’s story. The beautiful African country is full of self-sufficient supporters of the helpless – yerada lij. They inspire us. To learn more, click here.
In 2020, we released our first book Lucy’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir by Mesfin Tadesse with Ianet Bastyan. For a book description, click here. The 2nd edition will be out in August 2021. You can pre-order it in July 2021. Please watch this space for details.
Lucy’s People: An Ethiopian Memoir
New 2nd Edition
Yerada Lij Australia is preparing a 2nd edition of Lucy’s People. The book will be print-on-demand and then an eBook. It will be for sale internationally. We will not print the 2nd edition in Ethiopia. This is because we could get a printer, but no distributor. We will try again later.
The story is the same. Our 2nd edition has a bibliography & extended parts. It will be 280 pages. We have added more photos. The 2nd edition is professionally edited. It has a new cover design by an Australian designer. Right now, it is with her for book-interior design. Our editor will proofread it. Then the book will be ready for you to pre-order. Please watch this page.
Addis Ababa Bookshops
These Addis Ababa bookshops sold the 1st edition of Lucy’s People. Phone them to ask if they have any copies left. Otherwise, they will be able to get the 2nd edition for you if you ask.
- Ankeboot Book Store 0111 575 910
- Birana Book Store 0930 364 287 / 0944 342 223
- Engineer Alazar Exclusive International Book Center 0909 563 456
- Ineho Books 0912 735 000 / 0911 469 954
- Knowledge Gate Bookshop & Stationery 0911 026 529
- Walia Book Store: Ikhlas building, nr Hemen Hospital, Arat Kilo 095 656 0000
- Wisdom Littmaan Books 0911 899 468
- Zewdu Book Store 092 064 1201
These 2 Addis Ababa bookshops sold Lucy’s People. They are temporarily out of stock. We will let them know about the 2nd edition. You can ask them to stock it.
- Universal Book Shop, Arat Kilo 0911 30 18 87 / 011 156 63 97
- Walia Book Store: Ikhlas building, nr Zemen Hospital, Arat Kilo 095 656 0000
3. About Our Blog
Ethiopian Culture & Innovations: Gifts to the World
With over 80 different ethnic groups, Ethiopia’s culture is rich. She has given the world these:
- Formula for aspirin. It was written in an ancient Orit Yehuda monastery goat-skin book or birana. For a video about goatskin books, click here. The book’s title was Audenegiste. To read an article on Ethiopia’s traditional medicine, click here.
- Astronomy, thousands of years before the Christian era. To read about it, click here.
- Pentatonic music scale – the Ethiopian St Yared created it in the 7th century AD. To read about St Yared, click here.
- GPS – An Ethiopian-born scientist invented it. His name was Kitaw Ejigu. To read about him, click here.
- Today, in Addis Ababa, an IT expert has developed a device for people who are blind or have low vision. The device is used with special reading glasses, to read without braille. When walking in the streets, the mobile device alerts them to obstacles ahead. Once a person’s details are recorded, the device advises when that person approaches. This technology will enable people who are blind to be independent.
Mesfin Tadesse is the main author of Lucy’s People. It is his story. Born in Ethiopia, he studied and worked there.
Ianet Bastyan is Mesfin’s co-author. She is Australian. Mesfin’s memoir is her first extended writing.
For more about us, click here.
Photo: At Bete Mariyam, Lalibela Rock-hewn Monasteries © Mesfin Tadesse, 2017
Featured image: Pelicans Over Lake Tana, Source of the Blue Nile River © Mesfin Tadesse, 2020