Ethiopia Blog Introduction
Ethiopian culture and innovations are gifts to the world.
With over 80 different ethnic groups, Ethiopia’s culture is rich.
She has given the world these:
- Formula for aspirin. It was written in an ancient Orit Yehuda monastery goat-skin book or birana. View a video about goatskin books here. The book’s title was Audenegiste. Read an article on Ethiopia’s traditional medicine here.
- Astronomy, thousands of years before the Christian era. Read about it here.
- Pentatonic music scale – Ethiopian St Yared created it in the 7th century AD. Read about the saint here.
- GPS – An Ethiopian-born scientist invented it. His name was Kitaw Ejigu. Read about him here.
- Today, in Addis Ababa, an IT expert has developed a device for people who are blind or have low vision. The device is used with special reading glasses, to read without braille. When walking in the streets, the mobile device alerts them to obstacles ahead. Once a person’s details are recorded, the device advises when that person approaches. This technology will enable people who are blind to be independent.
- Read our post on weaving, embroidery and silk spider and silk maggot cultivation.
- Read how Ethiopians built the first pyramids and how it was King Lalibela that engineered the rock-hewn monasteries at Lalibela.
- Here is our explanation of the Ethiopian calendar.
Yerada Lij Australia Bloggers
Author Mesfin Tadesse and co-author Ianet Bastyan write this blog. Click or tap to read more.
Featured image: Shola Branch Over Lake Tana © Ianet Bastyan, 2020
- Ethiopia Gebta “Ethiopian Birana Metshift.” by Solomon Nigus.” YouTube video, 25.39 min. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dFzgvnb49g.
- Admasu Moges & Yohannis Moges. Ethiopian Common Medicinal Plants: Their Parts and Uses in Traditional Medicine: Ecology and Quality Control. November 27, 2019. DOI: 10.5772/intechopen.86202 https://www.intechopen.com/chapters/66996.
- Jackson, John G. Ethiopia and the Origin of Civilisation. Part 2.”, 1939. In “Ethiopian Astronomy / Zodiac.” An Ethiopian Journal [blog], n.d. https://tseday.wordpress.com/2008/09/14/ethiopian-astronomy/.
- “St Yared the Great Ethiopian Composer.” Tadias Magazine, November 29, 2007.http://www.tadias.com/11/29/2007/st-yared-the-great-ethiopian-composer/.
- “Kitaw Ejigu Was One of Ethiopia’s First Aerospace Scientists (1948–2006).” ethioJobs: Be Discovered. January 04, 2016. https://www.ethiojobs.net/blog/kitaw-ejigu-was-one-of-ethiopias-first-aerospace-scientists/.