On This Page
- Sharing Love Charitable Organization (SLCO)
- Generation Pillar Organization (GPO)
Help one Ethiopian person & they will give back to their community. A little support goes a long way. Please donate to registered Ethiopian charities run by ethical local volunteers.
Here are 2 nationally registered Ethiopian charitable organisations:
Sharing Love Charitable Organization (SLCO) – helps prisoners and their families in Ethiopia. Jump to SLCO
Generation Pillar Organization (GPO) – fights poverty all over Ethiopia. Jump to GPO
Why support these charities?
- fully registered in Ethiopia
- coordinated & operated voluntarily by terrific Ethiopians
- cost effective projects
SLCO & GPO aim to help all Ethiopians that need their services. They promote gender equity. Donations directly benefit the disadvantaged – money is not wasted on administration.
1. Sharing Love Charitable Organization (SLCO)
SLCO is fully registered in Ethiopia – certificate #4911. It helps prisoners and their families. SLCO builds responsible citizens and generates healthy psyches. This reduces crime.
[Thank you to SLCO volunteers] for spending their time with prisoners, teaching them, inspiring us, encouraging us, challenging us, providing & offering basic necessities to inmates. This was a great season thanks to your dedication and patience.Hossan Towan Prison Admin. Head, 28 February 2021
Sharing Love Charitable Organization is a network of Ethiopian volunteers. It was the initiative of Mr. Temesgen Tadesse Abo. He began supporting prisoners and their families in 2012. Kebede Ergudo Erbelo, an academic, has coordinated volunteers since 2014.
See a television interview with Temesgen. https://www.facebook.com/100050792130576/videos/296854585350944/ The program is “Good morning Ethiopia” April 27, 2021. It is also available here: https://www.facebook.com/temesgen.tadese.7777019/posts/295624522140617
Mobile: +251 930 176 860
Mobile: +251 930 176 517
Phone +1303 564 2357 for global contact
Website: www.sharinglovecharitable.org (Scroll to the bottom of that page for more information.)
Post: 62353 Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Create productive citizens and help reduce crime through loving support of prisoners.
Improve the lives of prisoners and their families.
SLCO calls for donations to help prisoners and their families. Donations are direct to the Ethiopian bank accounts listed here.
Donating Within Ethiopia
Commercial Bank of Ethiopia – 1000332573307
Oromiya International Bank –130006830001
Dashen Bank – 0039103035011
Birhan International Bank – 2500220091177
- Account name for all: Sharing Love Charitable Organization
Donating Outside Ethiopia
The most cost effective & convenient means is by Western Union money transfer – to the main branch of Commercial Bank of Ethiopia. https://www.westernunion.com/et/en/home.html Provide the charity with the Western Union transaction security code. Please contact Temesgen Tadesse Abo to express your interest in donating to SLCO. Mobile phone: +251 930 176 860; email: email@example.com
Beginnings of SLCO
A Prison Visit
In 2012, Temesgen visited a friend’s sister in Hawassa Prison. He noticed others who needed help and asked himself, “Who else was visiting pregnant women and breast-feeding mothers?” And what about youth and children whose parents were incarcerated?
Immediately, he began supporting women and children in prison and in their daily lives. At first, Temesgen T. Abo used his own funds to supply clothing, body lotion, hygiene & sanitary products; flour, oil, syrup, pasta and rice; books for libraries; and — for children whose parents were imprisoned — exercise books, pens and pencils.
Consulting Prisoners & Networking
The prison’s principal gave Temesgen T. Abo information about supporting prisoners. Temesgen consulted prisoners about their needs. Principals helped him establish support networks for other prisons in Dilla, Hlaba, Durame, Hossanea and Wolaita Sodo. They supplied some materials. SLCO rented cars for distribution.
From 2014, academic Kebede Ergudo Erbelo donated his services as coordinator of volunteers. Later, Kebede joined Ethiopian diaspora. In 2019, he loaned SLCO the money to buy a small car for transporting supplies. Today, SLCO supports prisoners and their children who attend schools. Currently, SLCO addresses problems in the following prisons: Hawassa, Dilla, Halaba, Durame, Hossaina, Wolaito Sodo, Butajira, Worabe, Wolkite, Debra Berhan, and Adama. SLCO plans to reach out to people in all prisons in Ethiopia.
Summary of Support Offered to Prisoners
- specialised support and counselling to prisoners with disabilities, depression and anxiety
- preventative health and hygiene materials
- literacy, numeracy and vocational education
- supply of necessities to prisoners
- supply of exercise books, pens, pencils, and school uniforms to children whose parents are imprisoned
- resources and facilities for religious purposes
- training in disease prevention & health maintenance
Training for correctional staff who support specific groups of prisoners. These include those who are female, under 18 or senior. Others have language barriers, physical or mental disabilities or special learning needs.
Prison Conditions in Ethiopia: Research Findings
Research studies based on Ethiopian prison contexts identified problems and challenges. Sharing Love Charitable Organization is dedicated to addressing them. Read the findings, below.
2. Generation Pillar Organization (GPO)
Generation Pillar Organization is a registered Ethiopian charity: Local Organization Registry Number 3996, 9 July 2019 with the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopian Agency for Civil Society Organizations
Generation Pillar Organization logo & sponsored school children
Fight poverty, removing its burden from the shoulders of current and future generations while sustaining the environment.
Ensure that current and future Ethiopian generations have holistic development that is directed toward physical, mental, economic, social, ethical and environmental well-being.
Summary of GPO Mission
Provide services and support to people who are disadvantaged – orphans, children from low-income families, youth, job seekers, women, homeless elders, people living with HIV/AIDS.
Generation Pillar Organization was created in 2018 by Ethiopian indigenous people. It is an initiative of Pastor Yohannis Rebu. Scroll down for the names of GPO board members.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cell phone numbers:
- +251 913 060 454
- +251 919 913 614
- +251 946 750 086
School children with uniforms donated by Generation Pillar Organization
Generation Pillar Organization seeks your help and co-operation. Together, we can reduce the burden of poverty upon Ethiopians today and tomorrow.
Donating Within Ethiopia
Donations may be made directly to the following bank accounts:
Commercial Bank of Ethiopia: 1000278477952
Oromiya International Bank: 923747
- Account names: Generation Pillar Organization
Donating Outside Ethiopia
The most cost effective & convenient means is by Western Union money transfer – to the main branch of Commercial Bank of Ethiopia. https://www.westernunion.com/et/en/home.html Provide the charity with the Western Union transaction security code. Please contact Pastor Yohannis to express your interest in donating to GPO. Email: email@example.com; mobile phone: +251 913 060 454
Services are for all poor Ethiopians throughout Ethiopia.
- Building shelters for homeless elders
- Development of food security for all
- Water supply construction in rural areas
- Training for disadvantaged people – formal, workplace, literacy. An overarching goal for all projects is to create a positive mindset in trainees. This means that they believe in the future & care about the environment. Their daily lives improve. They develop physically, mentally, socially, economically and ethically.
- Training for service providers that aligns with GPO’s vision and mission. This is for civil servants and government employees. It ensures governance that builds supportive communities and is environmentally sustainable. Communities manage the environment, sustaining it for the benefit of existing and future generations.
- Small business development support – microfinance to women; optimise & encourage existing skills
- Establishment of free public libraries – membership open to all
- Building free schools and hospitals in Addis Ababa. Free education & health care services are for people with low incomes.
- Family planning – education, consultations & products for all people
- HIV/AIDS prevention – education & products for all people
- Landcare – development of plantations & reforestation
- Conservation of natural resources
- Coffee production – a traditional Ethiopian product
People Supported by GPO
GPO builds shelters for women who are alone in the world.
“Their desperate plight is heart breaking.”Pastor Yohannis, founder of Generation Pillar Organization
Where Does GPO Work?
GPO supports Ethiopians in all areas. In many places, university students have no transport. Volunteers help them get to university.
GPO sponsors school children in Sedi Chana District. It built traditional mud houses in Gawo Kebe Woreda at Bejoko Kobecha Kebele. It does so all over Ethiopia.
Bejoko Kobecha Subcity – educational materials presentation by GPO, 2019
GPO Annual Plan 2021 Summary
Waraksa Kumera Beyene. Mr Waraksa is an engineer.
Yohannis Namomsa Rebu. Pastor Yohannis is the organization’s founder.
- Nebiyu Tolina Kusa. Mr Nebiyu is an accountant by profession.
- Milkias Bulcha is vice-chairman of the board. He is a lawyer.
- Tarafe Haile. Tarafe is a diplomat.
- Addimsu Tarafe
These are smart and self-sufficient supporters of the helpless. View our post on Ethiopians helping others – click here
Featured image: Pelicans Over Lake Tana. Copyright Mesfin Tadesse, 2020
Photos Not For Download
They are copyright of Sharing Love Charitable Organization & Generation Pillar Organization. Please do not share any of the photos on this page.